How To Protect Your Children At Their First Year Of College

College Student Insurance

If you sent your child off to college for their first year this month, chances are you are still getting used to them being out of the house. One of the best ways to give you the peace of mind you deserve while your child is away at college is to make sure that they are protected with the right insurance policies.

If your child is living in the dorms during their first year at school, your existing homeowners insurance policy should provide enough coverage for all of your child’s belongings while they are away. Make sure to let your insurance agent know that you have a child in college to see if you will need to increase your coverage.

You should also take the time to create a college inventory of everything that your child brings with them to school. Knowing what they have with them will make it much easier if you ever have to make a claim after a disaster. Just like your home inventory, the college inventory should be as detailed as possible and include the value of each item.

If your child is playing a sport or is participating in the band or orchestra, you may want to consider adding a floater or endorsement to your policy. The additional coverage that is provided by a floater will help to make sure that all of your child’s assets will be properly protected.

For more information on keeping your child safe while away at college with the right home insurance policy, contact the insurance professionals at Gee Schussler Insurance Agency in Orland Park, Illinois. We will work with you to find the perfect homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you have the coverage that you and your children deserve.